华人在继承祖先的文化遗产时，也当然的保留了民族的固有宗教 —- 道教。虽然道教都是世袭的，没有完善的宣教组织，但是，还能流传至今，单由这一点便足以证明，鲁迅先生所说的那一句话。请不要再逃避和不承认这铁一般的事实: 道教和中华文化是分不开的。为此我们有必要秉承先人的大志，致力发扬中华精粹，使优良的传统不致於流逝，并推广至各个角落，让更广泛的群众了解道教，认识道教，同时在道祖的圣诞日，连同海外各地如台湾，
Taoist Day Declaration
How do we make Taoists understand what is Taoism? Just what sort of religion is it? Why did the great Chinese writer Lu Xun say: “The root of the Chinese people is Taoism.”
According to the Taoist calendar, Taoism dated back 4693 years. It began with the Yellow Emperor (acknowledged as the ancestor of all Chinese people), was propagated by Lao Zi (acknowledged as the originator of the Tao) and became institutionalized as an organized religion by Zhang Dao Ling (acknowledged as the founder of the faith) in the reign of Emperor Shun of the Eastern Han Dynasty. The essence of this religion includes the millennia of Chinese civilization and folk practices.
When the Chinese people continue to practise the culture and custom of their ancestors, they naturally preserve this indigenous religion of Taoism. Taoism as a faith has been passed down as familial traditions through the generations and lacked a well-structured religious organization. Despite that, it has survived till today which, in itself, proves what Lu Xun said to be correct. There is no running away from this fact that Taoism and Chinese culture is one and the same. Therefore we feel we have the duty to continue with this legacy and give our best effort to the promotion of the Chinese spirit so as to prevent such a great heritage from being forgotten and to spread it far and wide so that more people can understand and know what is Taoism. At the same time, on this birthday of Lao Zi, together with Taoists in Taiwan and Hong Kong, we would like to declare this 15th day of the 2nd Lunar Month to be Taoist Day. We hope that the brightness of Chinese culture will continue to radiate and the Tao be eternal.
Taoist Day Working Committee
15th March 1996 established.
Theme and Objectives of Taoist Day Worldwide Celebration
二. 鼓勵全世界道教徒定期於每年二月十五齊聚道教聖地 / 老子故里“朝聖”。
二 . 副題：德歸聖源，感恩；蒙福。
A. OBJECTIVES of Taoist Day Worldwide Celebration:
1. To unite Taoists around the world to recognize and celebrate the 15th of the 2nd lunar month as “Taoist Day” – the Supreme Revered Day of Tai Shang Lao Jun (Lao Zi).
2. To encourage Taoists around the world to make annual pilgrimage on the 15th day of the 2nd lunar month to the Taoist sacred grounds / Lao Zi’s native place.
3. To proliferate and promote the teachings of Lao Zi in the Tao Te Ching to the world.
4. To propagate Taoism worldwide and strive towards achieving the goal of having “Taoist Day” gazette as a public holiday.
B. CELEBRATION THEME:
1. Primary : Tao is Universal; Its Virtues Nurture All.
2. Secondary : Virtues return to Tao sacred grounds, to give thanks and receive blessings.